How to catch Bass – 10 lures that are bringing me sucess.
Below is an assortment of lures (soft, hard minnows, jointed and surface) that I have consistently caught Bass on since April – plus a few notes on how and where I have fished them.
Manns Hardnose Jerkbait 6″ 030 (White) – available here
- Sinks slowly (head first) – I’ve had quite a few hits as this occurs.
- If twitched, it darts around beautifully.
- The white colour appears to do well in the late evening/darkness.
Z Man Sented 7″ (Floating) Jerk Shadz (Mulletron/Smoke) – available here
- Floats – so very easily fished through the worst (weed/rock) conditions imaginable.
- Enticing ‘slalom’ action on a slow retrieve that looks extremely realistic.
- Fishes about 3 – 9 inches below the surface, good in calm conditions.
O.S.P Do-Live Stick 6″ – available here
- A very good ragworm imitation.
- Looks the business when drifted around in amongst gullies.
- I always seem to get very positive takes on this soft plastic.
Storm Saltwater Chugbug (26g) Silver Mullet – available here
- A ‘classic’ that still catches, I’ve had more Bass over 5lb on these than any other lure.
- Extremely good in rough conditions and where there are ‘surf tables’.
- Very useful in murky sea conditions – the tinsel/large profile could help?
Xorus Frosty Patchinko 500g – available here
- Superb casting ability, easy to cast, even into a head wind.
- Relatively subtle compared to some surface lures – but this is what makes it effective.
- Appears to induce takes when other surface lures haven’t.
Abu Tormentor Jointed (Floating) Minnow (BB or Blue Mack) 30g – available here
- Very cheap, but very effective Bass catcher.
- Casts reasonably well considering it’s bulkiness.
- If a Bass hits this lure, expect it to be of a decent size!
Hokkaido Metsuki (Silver Bullet) 130F – available here
- Looks a lot more expensive than it is.
- Was very effective early in the season when the sandeel shoals were widespread.
- Fishes shallow (1 – 2 ft) with a nice ‘tight’ action.
Maria Chase SW (Black Chrome) – available here
- A shallow diver (1-2ft) used in slightly rougher conditions when stability is required.
- Has a wonderful wide swimming action on a straight retrieve – very enticing.
- At 19.5g, it feels very solid – you feel confident using this lure.
IMA Hound Glide 125F (Plasma Candy) – available here
- A ‘beast’ of a lure that casts like a bullet.
- Great to use from a beach, when you want a little bit more distance sometimes.
- Every Bass I’ve caught on one has absolutely ‘nailed the lure’.
Daiwa Shoreline Shiner R50 SSR FG (Maiwashi) – available here
- One of my general ‘Go to’ lures in a variety of conditions – I’ve admitted it! 🙂
- Worth getting hold of as they are so versatile (rough, calm, murky) – just great.
- Go and get one! You won’t regret it, even at £21.99!!
If you have some lures of your own that are doing the business right now, then please feel free to comment. Looking forward to some excellent forecast weather/tide conditions this weekend…… Marc